The successful partnership of Mack, Williams and Gibton, 39 Stafford Street, Dublin, was formed in 1812, the firm flourishing under this name until the death of John Mack in 1829. They are renowned for employing fine, richly figured timbers and for the quality of their craftsmanship, which is often compared to Gillow of Lancaster and London. From 1814, the firm regularly stamped their furniture using a system of impressed four digit numbers preceded by a letter, and/or applied a paper label; the present flower stands are stamped 'B1989'. Gillow had been the first to adopt a numbering system in 1795, and the stamp may have been used for stock control or a piece may have received a number when the order was placed (Angela Alexander, 'A Firm of Dublin Cabinet-Makers Mack, Williams & Gibton', Irish Arts Review Yearbook, Vol. 11, 1995, pp. 142-148).