The vase form derives from plinth-supported antique marble wine-kraters with the addition of Grecian-urn handles, while its wreath of flowered Roman acanthus relates to that of a marble vase in the possession of G.B. Piranesi, who illustrated it in his Vasi, candelabri, cippi, sarcophagi..., Rome (1778). Amongst the manufacturers of such urns was the Rome workshop established in 1820 by Benedetto Boschetti.
The Roman workshop of Benedetto Boschetti, 74 Via Condotti, was active circa 1820-1870 and exhibited at the Crystal Palace Exhibition in 1851. The workshop was renowned for the exceptional quality of its copies, prompting F.S. Bonfigli to note in 1856 that 'The establishment is particularly conspicuous for its great variety of marble works, bronzes, etc.'.