This pair of candlesticks relates to the oeuvre of Giuseppe
Valadier (1762-1839), who took over his father Luigi's workshop after his death in 1785, which he ran until about 1810. The ring-turned ormolu mounts, swag-carved marble, alabaster or porphyry shafts, and resulting contrast between the sparkling gilt-bronze and the deeply-coloured porphyry or clear white marble are characteristic of Valadier's oeuvre and can be found in some of his designs (A. Gonzalez-Palacios, 'Valadier Father and Son - Some Further Notes and Discoveries', Furniture History, 2007, figs. 13-16, pp. 78-80).
A related pair of ormolu-mounted white marble candlesticks was sold anonymously, Christie's, New York, 20 October 2006, lot 302 ($13,200).
Giuseppe Valadier took over the workshop of his father, the celebrated Luigi Valadier, on the latter's death in 1785. The successful firm had been founded in 1725 by his grandfather Andrea and was sold in 1827, having been the leading silversmith and bronze-founders of Rome for over a century. Giuseppe, while concentrating on architectural commissions, also supplied works of art to Pope Pius VI, Duke Luigi Braschi Onesti and Prince Camillo Borghese.