The chairs, designed in the Louis XIV fashion popularised by the Paris-trained architect Daniel Marot's, Second Livre d'Appartements, 1703 (pl. 6), have baluster legs tied by Ionic wave-scrolled stretchers in the manner of a celebrated suite of furniture supplied to Sir Thomas Osborne, lst Duke of Leeds (d. 1712) of Wimbledon, Surrey, and Kiveton Park, Yorkshire. The latter, whose backs also feature lambrequin scrolls, have been attributed to Queen Anne's court upholder Philip Guibert [Gilbert] of St. James's, London (sold from the collection of Baron de Redé at Sotheby's Paris, 16 March 2005, lot 7). Another related suite was executed in 1711 by the upholder Thomas Howe (d. 1733), Guibert's St. James's neighbour, for the 5th Earl of Salisbury and are at Hatfield House, Hertfordshire (A. Bowett, English Furniture: 1669-1714, Woodbridge, 2002, p. 256, pl. 848).