The candelabra are designed in the early 19th-century 'French' or 'Louis Quatorze' manner, as promoted by the Prince Regent at his Carlton House Palace.
Six large floor-standing candelabra were made by P.-P. Thomire in 1814 for Carlton House at a cost of £1,575, four of fourteen lights and two with eleven. They were later installed in the Great (or Crimson) Drawing Room, Windsor Castle, as part of George IVs extensive refurnishing throughout the 1820s. Morel and Seddon charged £597 18s for regilding and restoring the marble plinths. (H. Roberts, For the King's Pleasure: The Furnishing and Decoration of George IV's Apartments at Windsor Castle, London, 2001, pp. 79, 83, 84 & 95, fig. 91). Another pair, circa 1815 entirely of ormolu and with eight branches, is illustrated in J. Bourne & V, Brett, Lighting in the Domestic Interior, London, 1991, p. 180, fig. 591.