The chairs, with Egyptian reed-wreathed legs, are designed in the early 19th Century French/antique fashion promoted by the connoisseur Thomas Hope (d.1832) and popularised by R. Ackermann's Repository of Arts, 1810. Related chairs, with caned backs and squab-cushioned cane seats, have been associated with the manufactories of the court cabinet-makers Messrs. Morel and Seddon (see Christie's London, 22 November 2007, lot 703). They also relate to reed-enriched chairs with 'backs carved as a shell' supplied in 1811 by Messrs. Gillow of London and Lancaster to the Revd. Holland Edwards; and these in turn relate to the banqueting hall chairs of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers (see S. E. Stuart, Gillows of Lancaster and London, 2 vols. Woodbridge, 2008, pl. 177; and O. Brackett, An Encyclopaedia of English Furniture, 1927, p. 282).