With its X-shaped splat centred by a floral medallion, the present pair can be related to a side-chair in the collection of R. Imbert, executed by Jeanselme and described by D. Ledoux-Lebard as a 'chaise dossier à crosse ajouré, à croisillons, pieds arrière à l'étrusque' (Les Ébénistes Parisiens, (1795-1830), Paris, 1951, pp. 158-59). Further related examples include a side chair, albeit raised on sabre legs, executed by Louis Bellangé circa 1824 and illustrated in D. Ledoux-Lebard, Le Mobilier Français du XIXème siècle, p. 61, as well as a set of four side-chairs featuring a slightly different rosette to the splat, sold anonymously, Sotheby's, New York, 9 November 2007, lot 143.
The Parisian firm of Jeanselme, founded in the early 1820s and known as Jeanselme Frères from 1829, specialized in the design and manufacture of chairs and filled many orders for the Imperial households with part of their output remaining in the Mobilier National (see G. Janneau, Le Mobilier Français, les Sièges, Paris, 1999, p. 198). The firm is perhaps however best known for having acquired the workshops of Jacob in 1847.