• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7608

    Important European Furniture and Sculpture

    10 July 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 59

    A PAIR OF RUSSIAN ORMOLU SEVEN-LIGHT CANDELABRA

    EARLY 19TH CENTURY

    Price Realised  

    A PAIR OF RUSSIAN ORMOLU SEVEN-LIGHT CANDELABRA
    EARLY 19TH CENTURY
    Each modelled with a standing nymph holding in one hand a floral wreath and supporting with the other a foliate-wrapped cornucopia issuing from scrolling foliage anthemion and foliate-cast branches and a central stiff leaf-wrapped torch, above a circular stepped base set with the crowned coat-of-arms of the Demidoff family and decorated in relief with scenes of bacchic putti, on a circular stepped plinth with leaf tip-cast edge, drilled for electricity
    32 in. (81 cm.) high (2)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Beneath the Demidoff coat-of-arms, this magnificent pair of candelabra bears the Russian motto 'Delami ne slovami' - 'By deeds not words'. Nicholas N. Demidoff, who inherited the family empire when only fifteen, returned to Russia following an intensive work-study programme in Germany and England and assumed control of the family mining empire from Stroganoff family members and further increased its wealth. In 1819 he was appointed Russian Ambassador to the Court of Tuscany and in 1822 brought his two boys, Paul and Anatole, to Florence where he commissioned to have the Villa di San Donato built. With their immense wealth the Demidoffs commissioned luxury goods from Hermès as well as table decoration in malachite and gilt bronze from Thomire and silverwork by Odiot to decorate their lavish homes in Paris and St. Petersburg as well as of course the magnificent Villa di San Donato.

    Special Notice

    VAT rate of 5% is payable on hammer price and at 15% on the buyer's premium


    Provenance

    Most probably commissioned by Count Nicholas N. Demidoff (1773-1828).