With their unsual rounded shield-shaped backs resting on laurel wreaths, these elegant armchairs are closely related to armchairs in the Yellow salon at Rosendal, which were supplied around 1827 by the Stockholm furniture-maker Lorentz Wilhelm Lundelius. Based on these and various other close similarities, the present chairs can also be attributed to him.
Crown Prince Carl Johan purchased the estate of Rosendal on the edge of Stockholm in 1817, the year before his accession. The main house was destroyed by fire two years later, and the new King started rebuilding in 1823, creating a country estate similar to Malmaison near Paris. The architect was Fredric Blom, the interiors were largely painted by Pehr Limnell, and much of the furniture was delivered by Lundelius (H. Groth, Neoclassicism in the North, London, 1990, p. 192 and cat. 14)