• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7561

    Simon Sainsbury The Creation of an English Arcadia

    18 June 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 242

    A PAIR OF WILLIAM IV COLZA OIL LAMPS

    BY PERRY & CO., CIRCA 1840

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A PAIR OF WILLIAM IV COLZA OIL LAMPS
    BY PERRY & CO., CIRCA 1840
    The twin-handled urn reservoirs with mask clasps and branches with associated frosted glass shades, on cylindrical shafts and stepped square bases, labelled PERRY & CO 72 NEW BOND ST, fitted for electricity
    Each 22 in. (56 cm.) high (2)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    William Perry traded at 72 New Bond Street from 1817 and was joined by his nephew George in 1822. After 1833 the firm traded as George Perry & Co. Formerly named 'Parker and Perry' and founded by William Parker in 1756, the firm received commissions from many prominent patrons including the Royal family. They supplied the Prince of Wales at Carlton House and on Queen Victoria's accession they were one of two lustre makers called upon to supply the Royal household (R. Edwards, The Shorter Dictionary of English Furniture, London, 1964, p. 674).

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Acquired from Mallett, 26 March 1985.