• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7466

    Le Goût Steinitz, III

    6 December 2007, London, King Street

  • Lot 321

    A REGENCE GILTWOOD TABOURET

    CIRCA 1730

    Price Realised  

    A REGENCE GILTWOOD TABOURET
    CIRCA 1730
    The rectangular padded seat covered in green silk damask with cream coloured foliate motif and fringes, above acanthus-wrapped S-scrolled os de mouton legs joined by a conforming H-shaped stretcher centered by a berried foliate spray, and terminating in scroll feet, one seat rail branded 'AT' flanking an anchor for the château d'Anet
    17¾ in. (45 cm.) high; 21¾ in. (55 cm.) wide; 15 in. (38 cm.) deep


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The château d'Anet, built by Diane de Poitiers (died 1566) on land given by Charles VII to her husband Pierre de Brézé subsequently belonged in the 18th century to the duchesse de Maine, Louis XV and Louis XVI. The château became the property of the duc de Penthièvre in 1775. Louis-Jean-Marie de Bourbon, duc de Penthièvre (1725-1793) was the grandson of Louis XIV and Madame de Montespan. Upon his death in 1793, the Revolutionary government seized his property and sold the majority.
    It is not known whether the tabouret was already at Anet when acquired by the Duc or whether it formed part of the furnishings brought by him. The distinctive inventory brand centered by an anchor symbolizing his role as Grand Admiral de France would have been applied during his lifetime.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    The duc de Penthièvre, château d'Anet, France.