The use of rosewood, cedar-lined drawers and in particular the 'ribbed' panels flanking the drawers and decorating the legs, are all typical of the work of John McLean & Son (see S. Redburn, 'John McLean and Son', Furniture History, 1978, pls. 40B, 41A, 41B and C. Gilbert (ed.), Pictorial Dictionary of Marked London Furniture 1700-1840, London, 1996, p. 38) . John McLean worked from Little Newport Street between 1770 and 1783, and by 1790 was established at 58 Upper Marylebone Street where the firm remained until it ceased trading in 1819/1820. Together with his son, William, he also occupied premises in Pancrass Street, Tottenham Court Road.