• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7746

    PARISIAN TASTE IN LONDON: A PRIVATE COLLECTION AND FURNITURE

    10 September 2009, London, King Street

  • Lot 283

    A REGENCY ORMOLU-MOUNTED AND POLYCHROME-DECORATED FROSTED-GLASS HANGING LIGHT

    BY WILLIAM COLLINS, 1814

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    A REGENCY ORMOLU-MOUNTED AND POLYCHROME-DECORATED FROSTED-GLASS HANGING LIGHT
    BY WILLIAM COLLINS, 1814
    The corona with applied hunting horns, pairs of foxes and anthemia, the bulbous bowl depicting a fox pursued through fields by hounds and huntsmen, formerly signed W.Collins, 1814, with an anthemion, greek key band and foliate pendant, damages, the glass cracked, decoration worn and the signature now lacking
    15 in. (38 cm.) high; 21½ in. (55 cm.) diameter


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    Although now apparently lacking a signature, this dish-light is the earliest recorded work of the light-manufacturer William Collins of 227, The Strand (fl.1808-1852) who is best known for his work at Northumberland House for the Duke of Northumberland, a commission which spanned seventeen years. Among the self-descriptions used on papers in the Northumberland archive is one from 1822: 'Glass Enameller Glass Manufacturer to the King and to the Royal Family' which presumably refers to the technique used here. He is also known to have supplied fittings to Bath House, Piccadilly, and a pair of torcheres from that commission, signed and dated 1823, is now in the Bowes Museum, Co. Durham.

    Provenance

    Edward Medlicott, Esq., Sacombe Park, Hertfordshire; Christie's house sale, 11 October, 1993, lot 138.
    Sir Paul Getty, K.B.E. and by descent.


    Saleroom Notice

    Please note this lot should not carry the property title stated in the catalogue. Additional provenance should read Christie's, London, 4th June 2009 lot 88 where it was acquired by the present owner.