The marble-topped and chiffonier-shelved table, with its plinth-supported and Grecian-black pillars, is designed in the French/antique fashion popularised around 1800 by cabinet-makers such as James Newton of Wardour Street; and illustrated in George Smith's, Collection of Designs for Household Furniture and Interior Decoration, London, 1808 (see G. Ellwood, 'James Newton', Furniture History, 1995, figs. 1 and 2). Around 1805 Newton supplied a pair of similarly mirrored 'chiffonier' tables for the St. James's mansion of George Byng Esq. M.P. (d. 1847) (sold anonymously 'Two Late Regency Collectors', Christie's, London 9 June 2005, lot 48).