These 'Etruscan' style chairs closely follow a drawing by Rome-trained artist, architect and antiquarian Filippo Pelagio Palagi (1775-1860), which is illustrated here. In their execution these chairs are almost identical to those made by Giovanni Chaivassa for the Castello di Racconigi in 1835 after Palagi's design. An example of Chiavassa's chairs, which vary from the set offered here in their use of iron foliate inlay to the back, splat and seat-rail, are illustrated in E. Colle, Il Mobile Impero in Italia, Milan, 1998, p. 376.
Pelagio Palagi (1775-1860)
The celebrated Bolognese ornemaniste and furniture designer Pelagio Palagi developed a taste for 'Etruscan' archeological treasures while in Rome between 1806 and 1815. In 1832, King Carlo Alberto (1798-1849) commissioned Palagi to refurbish the Castello di Racconigi, and this included the famous Etruscan room completed in 1834. Palagi was extensively patronised by Carlo Alberto, both at the Palazzo Reale and the Castello di Racconigi, where he was given free reign for the entire decorative schemes.