William Smith was a London scalemaker, working c 1802-47. The name (William) Smith & Co., London appears on weights with pre-1865 verification marks. The address is given as 'Borough' (a street in South East London) from c.1870 onwards. By 1905 the firm seems to have been merged with Gilbert & Co, and Doyle & Sons. A coin-scale label of c.1830 describes Smith & Co. as successors to Dutton and Smith. The address was 238 High Street, Borough.