Chairs of distinctive English design were often produced by Far Eastern manufactories, the designs being delivered to Chinese workshops for construction in exotic hard woods such as padouk, rather than traditional walnut or mahogany.
A chair of this pattern is in the Library at Sherborne Castle, Dorset and may have been supplied by the Golden Square cabinet-makers Mayhew and Ince, who invoiced Henry, 1st Earl Digby for furniture in 1763. The Gothic fret-pattern in the toprail corresponds to patterns published in Mayhew and Ince's Universal System of Household Furniture, 1762 ('Voiders' pl. 15). The chair pattern is also associated with functional hall furniture and a related set of mahogany chairs with pierced crestings is found on 'sleigh' chairs of the mid-18th Century in the Lower Hall at Houghton Hall, Norfolk (E. Moore, (ed.), Houghton Hall, The Prime Minister, The Empress and The Heritage, London, 1996, pp. 92-93). The rails attached to the underside of the legs are to prevent the chair from sinking into the ground, when taken outdoors.