Christie’s charges a premium to the buyer on the Hammer Price of each lot sold at the following rates: 29.75% of the Hammer Price of each lot up to and including €20,000, plus 23.8% of the Hammer Price between €20,001 and €800.000, plus 14.28% of any amount in excess of €800.000. Buyer’s premium is calculated on the basis of each lot individually.
Please note this is a set of six stained wood wall brackets and not five as written in the catalogue.
Wednesday 1 April 2009, 2.00 PM
The property of Fürst zu Stolberg-Wernigerode, Schloss Wernigerode
The castle of Wernigerode, located in the heart of Germany, has been the home of the Stolberg family, of which quite a few members have been influential to the history of Europe. A fortress on the site is first mentioned in the late 12th century and became property of the Counts of Stolberg in 1429, who thereafter named themselves Stolberg-Wernigerode. During the 16th Century, the castle was rebuilt in Renaissance style and, severely damaged in the Thirty Years' War, it was again rebuilt in the late 17th Century. This time it was Count Ernst zu Stolberg-Wernigerode who added Baroque style to the remains and made it a romantic residence palace. After several remodifications Count Christian Ernst zu Stolberg built a new castle in Baroque style in the early 18th century, which was in its turn replaced by the building as it is now, erected around 1880.
In 1506, the castle saw the birth of Juliana, who through her marriage to Wilhelm von Nassau-Dillenburg in 1531 originated the house of Orange; it was their son Willem de Zwijger that would free the lower countries from the Spanish yoke. In the 18th century, two other Stolbergs entered the history books. Augusta Louise is famous for her - published - correspondence with Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, who kindly referred to her as 'Gustchen'. And Luise Maximilana married Charles Edward Stuart, the throne pretender who was referred to as 'Bonny prince Charly' by others and as 'Charles III' by himself, but would never make it into King of England.
The castle took its present shape under Count Otto zu Stolberg Wernigerode, High President of the Prussian province of Hannover, German Ambassador in Vienna and Bismarck's Vice Chancellor of the German Reich. He sought the help of star architect Carl Frühling to create a castle complex of great effect from the outside and immense detail on the inside. The grand turreted stone and half-timber castle with magnificent views over the medieval town of Wernigerode today ranks as major example of the North German "Historismus" building style.
Lots 407 to 447 were removed from the castle where a significant part of European history was shaped. Today the castle is used as a Feudal Museum.