The caned library chairs, with Grecian-scrolled frames enriched with golden palm flowers, are conceived in the early 19th century French antique fashion as featured in R. Ackermann's, Repository of Arts, 1810; while their 'tablet' backs are embellished with scrolled lambrequins as illustrated in P. and M. A. Nicholson's, The Practical Cabinet Maker, 1826. Amongst the principal manufacturers of such furniture were the court cabinet-makers Morel and Seddon, who contributed to the furnishing of Windsor Castle in the later 1820s. A set of four chairs of this form, but with reed-gadrooned seat-rails and other differences, was on the art market in Manchester in the late 1950s (now at Peover Hall, Cheshire).
The distinctive reeded leg profile is related to that seen on a set of eighteen parcel-gilded oak and brass-inlaid dining-chairs that formed part of a suite supplied to Don Pedro de Souza e Holstein, 1st Duke of Palmella (1781-1850), who served as Ambassador to England in 1812-1815 and on three subsequent occasions. The Palmella suite was attributed to George Bullock, on account of strong stylistic similarities with the furniture he supplied for the Duke of Atholl at Blair Castle. The Palmella suite was sold anonymously, in these Rooms, 25 June 1987, lots 171-181.