Augsburg and Nuremberg were two important centres of production of these small portable table cabinets, which are part of an extensive group of similarly decorated furniture from Swabia, Bavaria and Tyrol, all inlaid with caracteristic marquetry of stylized ruins, scrollwork, and architectural scenes.
This distinctive Ruinenarchitektur marquetry is believed to be based on etchings executed by Leonard Thiry and Ducerceau in 1550 as well as on a design book of drawings published in 1567 by Augsburg cabinetmaker Lorenz Stöer. (H. Kreisel, Die Kunst des deutschen Möbels, Vol. 1, München, pp. 85-89.)
Several cabinets with similar marquetry are illustrated in H. Kreisel, op. cit., figs. 214, 221.