The antiquarian table has an altar-table pillar of conjoined plinth-supported and hollow-sided trestles in the Elizabethan fashion, and relates to a gothic-patterned table with octagonal top featured in G. and R. Light's, Cabinet Furniture, 1881. However, the trestles relate in particular to those of a 'mediaeval' flower-painted frame, commissioned around 1870 for the display of an inlaid-marble slab in the possession of the connoisseur John Patrick Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute. The latter table, executed for Cardiff Castle, Wales was designed under the Marquess' direction by his architect William Burges (d. 1881), a founder member of the Mediaeval Society and author of various publications such as Art Applied to Industry, 1864.
The present table bears the brand of the Liverpool firm of S.J. Waring following their 1890's merger with Gillows as advertised at the Paris 1900 Exhibition.