• 500 Years: Decorative Arts Eur auction at Christies

    Sale 7841

    500 Years: Decorative Arts Europe

    29 April 2010, London, King Street

  • Lot 244

    A WILLIAM IV ROSEWOOD AND PARCEL-GILT CENTRE TABLE

    CIRCA 1835

    Price Realised  

    A WILLIAM IV ROSEWOOD AND PARCEL-GILT CENTRE TABLE
    CIRCA 1835
    The circular top above a massive turned lotus and acanthus carved pedestal and a concave-sided triangular base with scrolled foliate feet and inset castors, the castor plates stamped 'COPE PATENT'
    28½ in. (73 cm.) high; 66 in. (168 cm.) diameter


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    Powerscourt, one of the most famous of all Irish houses, was largely the creation of Richard Wingfield (d. 1751), 1st Viscount Powerscourt from 1728-43 to designs by Richard Castle, but was extensively remodelled by the 6th and 7th Viscounts Powerscourt throughout the 19th century, including a suite of drawing rooms redecorated for the visit of King George IV in 1821. The 6th Viscount spent much of his time travelling in Italy for his health and it was he who brought the finest of the bronzes, marbles and ornaments that decorate the magnificent gardens, laid out in grand Baroque manner under the direction of Daniel Robertson from 1842.
    The estate remained in the family, but with mounting debts the house was sold in 1961 to Mr. R Mrs. Ralph Slazenger, but the house was tragically gutted by fire in November 1974 just before it was due to open to the public. Many of the furnishings that survived were dispersed in Christie's house sale, Powerscourt, 24 and 25 September 1984.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 17.5% will be added to the buyer's premium, which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Probably supplied to Richard Wingfield, 6th Viscount Powerscourt (d.1844) and then by descent at Powerscourt, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow, until sold in 1961 to
    Mr. & Mrs. Ralph Slazenger, Powerscourt, Enniskerry, Co. Wicklow.


    Saleroom Notice

    This table is illustrated in situ in the Saloon at Powerscourt in Viscount Powerscourt, Description and History of Powerscourt, London, 1903, facing p.44 and again facing p.45.


    Pre-Lot Text

    THE PROPERTY OF THE SLAZENGER FAMILY FROM THE POWERSCOURT ESTATE