The ivory-veneered and ivory-inlaid furniture and table articles from Vizagapatam, on the northern part of the Coromandel Coast, are distinctive for lush foliate borders and frequently, meticulously-rendered landscape scenes. In addition to the present example of a miniature bureau, Vizagapatam produced objects such as bureau-bookcases, toilet mirrors, chairs and various types of boxes.
Typically, the miniature bureau rest on bracket feet, so the presence of an ivory-inlaid ebony base is notable. In 1767, Thomas Chippendale supplied a stand in the Gothick style to Sir Edward Knatchbull of Mersham-le-Hatch for an ivory-inlaid rosewood bureau, circa 1750 (see A. Jaffer, Furniture from British India and Ceylon, London, 2001, pg. 189, fig. 86). A very similar ivory-veneered bureau enhanced by a pierced foliate cresting, a waved apron and short cabriole legs is in the Royal Collection, having been brought to England by Alexander Wynch, Governor of Fort St. George from 1773 to 1775 (see A. Jaffer, op.cit., pg. 198, fig. 92).