• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7574

    Thomas Hope & The Neoclassical Vision & The Collector of Collections

    24 April 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 309


    CIRCA 1860

    Price Realised  


    CIRCA 1860
    The arched bevelled later plate flanked by Corinthian pilasters, the frame carved with rockwork and C-scrolls and foliage, the cresting centred by a Chinoiserie balcony below a foliate canopy, the apron centred by a swan flanked by spaniels on rock platforms, probably incorporating elements of an earlier mirror
    60 x 43¼ in. (153.5 x 87 cm.)

    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    H.J. Joel Esq, Childwick Bury, Hertfordshire; Christie's house sale, 15 May 1978, lot 106.

    Pre-Lot Text

    H. J. JOEL

    H. J. (Jim) Joel formed a superb collection of English Furniture and like many other collectors of the middle years of the twentieth century, Joel was fortunate to be advised by R. W. Symonds and the collection bears his distinctive imprint. However, unlike some of his contemporaries, Jim Joel's collection encompassed a wide variety of genres that included French furniture; oriental rugs; English, European and Oriental porcelain; but especially close to his heart was a passion for Sporting Art, reflecting his love of The Turf. His father and uncle were pioneering British diamond merchants and founded the Johannesburg Consolidated Investment Company Limited, known as Johnnies, of which Jim Joel was Chairman after his father, Jack's death in 1940.

    His collection was sold in a monumental two-part Christie's house sale, on 15-17 May 1978 and the pictures sold in these Rooms, 23 June 1978. The contents of his London flat at 15 Grosvenor Square were sold in these Rooms on 17 April 1980 and the final portion was sold from the Stud House, Childwick Bury, Hertfordshire, in these Rooms, 1 April 1993.