The attribution of the present table to Morant is based on the existence of a stamped example, having a different frieze and support, but with an identical base mounted with putti emblematic of the Elements (with Zal Davar Antiques, London, circa 1984).
The firm of Morant, Boyd & Morant was established in 1790 by George Morant (d. 1846) at 88 New Bond Street, London. It continued to flourish and expand throughout the 19th Century. By 1852 the firm was known as Morant & Boyd and had premises at 91 New Bond Street, and by 1858 they had moved to 81 New Bond Street. In that same year they supplied furniture to William Duckworth at Orchardleigh Park, Frome, which was later sold at Christie's House sale, 21-22 September 1987, Lots 99-101 and 243. The business continued into the 20th Century, when it became known as Lenygon & Morant.
Among Morant's various clients were members of the Royal Family, the Marquess of Londonderry at Wynward Park, Durham, and the Duke of Sutherland at Stafford House, London (now Lancaster House). At the latter, where the firm created a series of reception rooms decorated in a gilt and white scheme, there are pier tables with similar putti, supplied by Morant's, in the former State Drawing Room. Although the present table does not appear either in the catalogue of Knight, Frank & Rutley's sale of the remaining contents of the Stafford House furniture (14-25 July 1913), or in the catalogue of the sale held by Messrs. Trollope at Trentham Hall (17-19 July 1907), the link with a Sutherland provenance dates back to at least the early 1950s, when it was purchased by the father of the previous owner from Messrs John Bell of Aberdeen, in whose inventory it was referred to as "The Sutherland Table".