This grand Palladian pier glass can be attributed to the celebrated and prolific Dublin firm of 'Looking Glass Merchants', 'glass-grinders' and 'glass sellers' established by the brothers Francis and John Booker. The extent of their wares is revealed in their beautiful trade card which incorporates a delicate rococo border interspersed with illustrations and a long detailed list including dressing glasses, lustres, chandeliers and lanterns. Their premises were listed in Essex Bridge, Dublin, the same address at which their father is recorded from 1715.
The form and ornament of this mirror is almost identical to a design by William Jones in The Gentleman's or Builders Companion published in 1739. Jones' book was available in Dublin that year and was sold for 12s. by Robert Owen in Skinners Row; one can easily imagine a well worn copy owned by the Bookers at 6 Essex Bridge (The Knight of Glin and J. Peill, Irish Furniture, London, 2007, p.143).
Jones’ design was an enduringly popular one for the Booker workshop, as it was clearly was the source of a pier glass from 1750 with a Booker trade label sold from Glin Castle at Christie’s, London, 7 May 2009, lot 51 as well as another from 1775-85 with a trade label for John Booker, who continued after his brother’s death in 1772 (ibid, p.144 figs 194-5). Other related examples include one attributed to John Booker sold anonymously at Christie’s, London 14 November 2013, lot 5 and another attributed to John and Francis Booker that also featured a lions mask and was sold anonymously at Christie’s, London, 9 June 2011, lot 281.