• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 2157

    European Furniture, Works of Art, Tapestries and Carpets

    16 April 2009, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 185

    TWO SIMILAR RESTAURATION FRUITWOOD AND MAHOGANY SIDE TABLES

    STAMPED WITH THE LOUIS PHILLIPPE MONOGRAMS, ONE WITH ADDITIONAL LP STENCIL TO DRAWER BASE

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    TWO SIMILAR RESTAURATION FRUITWOOD AND MAHOGANY SIDE TABLES
    STAMPED WITH THE LOUIS PHILLIPPE MONOGRAMS, ONE WITH ADDITIONAL LP STENCIL TO DRAWER BASE
    Each with shaped rectangular top above a frieze drawer, one on ring-turned baluster legs, the other on tapering legs, minor variations in size, stamped to back right corner with LP monogram, inventory numbers 134, N123 and 6589
    The stamped table 27¼ in. (69 cm.) high, 30½ in. (77.5 cm.) wide, 17¾ in. (45 cm.) deep, the other table 28 in. (71 cm.) high, 31½ in. (80 cm.) wide, 18¼ in. (46.5 cm.) deep (2)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    This cypher denotes these tables as part of the mobilier supplied to the Emperor Louis-Philippe at the Château de Neuilly. Built by d'Argenson in 1751 it passed through various owners until it was given in 1808 by Napoleon to his sister, Pauline Borghese. At the fall of the Empire, it was annexed to the royal properties and given by Louis XVIII to his cousin, Louis-Philippe, at that point the Duc d'Orlèans (later King Louis-Philippe), in exchange for the Ecuries de Chartres. Orlèans took possession of it in 1817 and it stayed in the family until 1852.