No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT payable at 19.6% (5.5% for books) will be added to the buyer’s premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis
Post Lot Text
A GROUP OF FIVE CAMEOS
16TH TO EARLY 19TH CENTURY
1. An onyx cameo of Cupid triumphant, in an oval gold mount, 16th or 17th century.
2. A sardonyx cameo of Helios the sun god in a chariot, in a rope-twist gold mount, circa 1800.
3. An onyx cameo of a naked athlete holding a strigil, in an oval gold mount, 18th century.
4. A sardonyx cameo of Cupid captive, in oval mount, 18th century (for another version by Giovanni Pichler see O. M. Dalton, Catalogue of the Engraved Gems of the Post Classical Periods in the British Museum, London, 1915, no. 96)
5. An onyx cameo of Cupid chastising a butterfly emblematic of Psyche, in oval gold mount, 18th century (for a version signed 'Cades', see G. Lippold, Gemmen und Kameen des Altertums und der Neuzeit, Stuttgart, 1922, pl. CXXVI, no. 5).
The group has been applied to a green marble ground in a later rectangular moulded ebony frame inlaid with hardstone and with ormolu mounts