As a connoisseur of fine violins and a talented amateur musician, Jack Marlin owned the 1742, Giuseppe Guarneri del Gesú known as the Lord Wilton. Purchased from Rembert Wurlitzer in 1966, Marlin prized the Guarneri until its sale to Yehudi Menuhin through Jacques Francais in 1978. During his long and close relationship with Wurlitzer's Marlin engaged their celebrated restorer and violin maker Simone F. Sacconi to produce a copy of the Lord Wilton in 1971. It would be one of the last copies made by Sacconi before his death in 1973. The model would be embraced by many of his followers including his student Luis Bellini. After the death of Marlin the violin has remained with members of his family.