VAT rate of 5% is payable on hammer price and at 15% on the buyer's premium
Apparently first recorded in the Palazzo S. Giacomo Balbi (owned by the Balbi della Piovera), Genoa, when in the possession of Francesco-Maria Balbi, in 1758, and copied by Fragonard there in 1761.
Recorded again in 1780, as the principal painting in the fourth Salon. Acquired by Andrew Wilson (1780-1848) (with fifteen other pictures) 5 November 1805, and acquired from him in London by
Walsh Porter (d. 1809) as 'The Family of Rubens'.
Walsh Porter; London, 12 March ff. 1810, lot 13 (unsold).
Walsh Porter; Christies, London, 14 April 1810, lot 49 (unsold). (An annotation in a sale catalogue, probably by John Smith, stated that the picture was with the King in 1823).
Joseph Gillot, Birmingham; (+) Christies, London, 3 May (5th day) 1872, lot 350 (sold 1230 gns., buyer's name indistinct).
Sir Francis Cook, 1st Bt. (1817-1901), Doughty House, Richmond, by 1875, and by descent to his great-grandson, Sir Francis Cook, 4th Bt., by whom given to Brenda, Lady Cook.
Property sold at the direction of Brenda, Lady Cook, formerly from the Cook Collection, Doughty House, Richmond (lots 169 and 170)
C.N. Cochin, Voyage d'Italie, III, 1759, p. 281.
C.G. Ratti, Instruzione di quanto può vedersi di più bello in Genova, 1780, p. 190.
W. Buchanan, Memoirs of Painting, II, 1824, pp. 195-6.
A. Rosenberg, P.P. Rubens, K. der K., 1905, pp. 422 and 485.
E. Dillon, Rubens, 1909, pp.172 and 232.
J.O. Kronig, A Catalogue of Paintings at Doughty House in the Collection of Sir Herbert Cook, II, 1914, no. 331.
R. Oldenbourg, P.P. Rubens, K. der K., 1921, p. 471, under note to p. 426.
P. Rosenberg & B. Bréjon de Lavergnée, Panopticon Italiano, II 1986/2000, under no. 339.
M. Jaffé, Rubens Catalogo Completo, Milan, 1989, under no. 1386.