This painted map is an overview of the temple complex of Satrunjaya, the most important Jain pilgrimage site. This is where Rishabhanatha, the first Jina, attained perfect knowledge. Monumental maps such as this one serve a surrogate for those unable to visit the shrines. The complex is divided over two ridges, the one on the left was built by Kumarapala in 1213 and dedicated to the Jina Adinath, while the one on the right was established later by Jain merchants. The Satrunjaya river appears on the left.
Other maps of Satrunjaya are in the National Gallery of Australia and dated 1897-98, attributed to Gujarat or Rajasthan (NGA.2005.945), in the Paul F. Walter collection and illustrated in Pratapaditya Pal, The Peaceful Liberators, Jain Art from India, exhibition catalogue, London, 1994, cat.117, pp. 252-253, in the Victoria and Albert Museum (IS.32-2012) and last one, although of slightly different format, sold at Christie's South Kensington, 1st October 2012, lot 273. For an in-depth discussion of Jain pilgrimages see Pratapaditya Pal, op.cit.. cat.117, p.252-253.