• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7610

    Important Old Master & British Pictures Day Sale Including Property From The Collection Of The Princely House Of Liechtenstein

    9 July 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 119

    Attributed to Gillis van Tilborgh II (Brussels c. 1625-c. 1678)

    An artist portraying a family in a landscape

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    Attributed to Gillis van Tilborgh II (Brussels c. 1625-c. 1678)
    An artist portraying a family in a landscape
    oil on canvas
    44 x 50¼ in. (111.8 x 127.6 cm.)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    The present picture would appear to be an unpublished work executed in the southern Netherlands, probably by the Brussels-based artist Gillis van Tilborgh. It can be compared with the group portrait in a landscape in the Statens Museum, Copenhagen (O. Koester, Flemish Paintings 1600-1800, Statens Musum for Kunst, Copenhagen, 2000, KMsp. 286, p. 264, pl. 168) where the landscape is also the work of another hand. In the case of the present picture the landscape may be the work of a follower of Lodewyck de Vadder (1628-1655), perhaps Ignatius van der Stock. The identity of the artist and his family is not known; that the artist is a landscape painter is indicated by his being at work out of doors. The most prominent landscape painter active ca. 1660 in Brussels was Jacques d'Arthois (1613-1683) but he married soon after 1634 and had five children. Judging by the age of the children depicted in the present picture, the parents had been married for between 8 and 10 years.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    The Princely House of Liechtenstein, at Schloss Eisgrub, Lednice, Bohemia (inv. no. E 744), by March 1940, when moved to the Alserbachpalais, Vienna, where it remained until November 1943, when moved to Schloss Seebenstein, Neunkirchen, Lower Austria, until December 1944, when moved to Schloss Vaduz, Liechtenstein, until the present.


    Exhibited

    Brno, Mährischer Kunstverein, Künstlerhaus Brünn (according to a label on the reverse).