• Cabinet d'un Amateur Européen auction at Christies

    Sale 7822

    Cabinet d'un Amateur Européen

    9 December 2009, London, King Street

  • Lot 409

    Attributed to Mario Nuzzi, called Mario dei Fiori (Rome 1603-1673)

    Narcissi, Daffodils, Clematis, Tulips, Carnations and other flowers in an ornemental vase on a stone legde

    Estimate

    Attributed to Mario Nuzzi, called Mario dei Fiori (Rome 1603-1673)
    Narcissi, Daffodils, Clematis, Tulips, Carnations and other flowers in an ornemental vase on a stone legde
    inscribed 'Mario del Fiori pinx (...)' (on the stretcher) and 'Mara dei Fiori pinx./+ zu Rom 1629/im 77. Jahre seines/Lebens' (on the reverse, according to an old label glued on the stretcher)
    oil on canvas
    36 7/8 x 29 in. (93.4 x 74 cm.)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    The present painting has been linked to the princely house of Reuss for its entire known history. In the 17th Century, the house Reuss-Gera itself was divided into three lines: Reuss-Gera, Reuss-Schleiz and Reuss-Lobenstein. In 1673, the Holy Roman Emperor elevated the heads of these three lines to Reichsgraf or Imperial Count. The Reuss-Gera line survived until 1802. The counts of Reuss-Lobenstein became princes in 1790. Various Reuss-Lobenstein lines died out, and the principality passed from cousin to cousin. Eventually the last Fürst zu Reuss-Lobenstein abdicated in favour of a distant cousin in the Reuss-Schleiz line. Having inherited the Gera lands in 1802 and having themselves been elevated to princes in 1806, with this abdication, the line of Reuss-Schleiz succeeded in reuniting the Reuss Younger Line.

    Special Notice

    VAT rate of 5% is payable on hammer price and at 15% on the buyer's premium


    Provenance

    (Possibly) acquired by Heinrich XIV Reuss, Gera.
    Cadet branch of the Princelly House of Reuss, sale; Christie's, Düsseldorf, 26 May 1998, lot 250, where acquired by the present owner.