Contrary to the label on the reverse of the frame, the present miniature derives from a now lost, probably full-length portrait of the future King Charles II, circa 1648, copied by Adriaen Hanneman (c. 1601 - c. 1671). It forms part of a series painted by Des Granges during Charles II's period of exile for distribution among his supporters. For another signed miniature from the series in the Victoria and Albert Museum (inv. no. HH380-1948), see J. Murdoch, Seventeenth-century English Miniatures in the Collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 1997, no. 50, pp. 98 and 99, illustrated in colour pl. 7C. Others can be found in the National Portrait Gallery (inv. no. NPG 6276, Alan Evans Bequest) and in the Collection of the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry (exhibited Edinburgh, Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Portrait Miniatures from the Collection of the Duke of Buccleuch, 1996-1997, no. 53, illustrated p. 89).