with V.G. Fischer Art Galleries, New York, by February 1913, when acquired by
Otto H. Kahn, New York.
with Ehrich Galleries, New York, by February 1921, when purchased by the
Saint Louis Art Museum.
Sold to Benefit the Acquisition Fund of the Saint Louis Art Museum
F. Malaguzzi-Valeri, La Corte di Ludovico il Moro, Milan, 1917, III, pp. 73-74, fig. 62, as 'Manner of Il Giampietrino'.
F.R. Shapley, Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools XV-XVI Century, London, 1968, p. 131, under K1558, as 'follower of da Vinci'.
Los Angeles, County Museum, Leonardo da Vinci, 3 June-17 July 1949, no. 21, as 'Leonardo studio' (catalogue by W. R. Valentiner, et al.).