In the winter of 1851, the same year he designed the schooner yacht America, George Steers also designed the centerboard sloop Mayflower. Her stem post was narrower, with an extreme beam and a shallow draft. Sold by William H. Brown to the Schuyler Brothers, they sold her to Louis Augustus Depau in 1853 and renamed her Sylvie after his wife (daughter of the French Admiral de Grasse). Louis was the son of Francis Depau, founder of the first line of sailing packets between New York and Havre, France, and a prominent maritime family. Sailing from Depau Island on June 11, 1853 and arriving at Havre in 16 days and 12 hours, Sylvie, with her Captain, Peter H. Comstock of New York was credited for her exceptionally swift passage. On August 19th 1853 Sylvie raced at the Royal Yacht Squadron against Arrow, Aurora, Alarm, Osprey, Aurora Borealis, and Julia. Sylvie finished second behind Julia and was awarded a special 50-guinea cup. Known as the 'Sylvie' cup, this trophy has been raced for every year since 1898 on the Great Lakes. In 1857 she was purchased by C.A. Stebbins of the New York Yacht Club who refitted her as a schooner. It was in this configuration that she competed in the first America's Cup defense in 1870 as part of the 'Defender' fleet which consisted of 18 yachts including the challenger Cambria and the first winner of the 100 guinea cup, America. The selected defender Magic easily won over Cambria by 39 mins - 17secs. Sylvie finished 7th across the line and 3rd on corrected time. Cambria, the challenger, finished 8th across the line and 10th on corrected time. She continued to sail until the turn of the century. Sylvie was broken up in 1906.