• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 11936

    Old Masters: Part II

    14 April 2016, New York, Rockefeller Plaza

  • Lot 233

    Gaetano Gandolfi (San Matteo della Decima 1734-1802 Bologna)

    Christ supported by two angels

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    Gaetano Gandolfi (San Matteo della Decima 1734-1802 Bologna)
    Christ supported by two angels
    oil on copper
    23 ¾ x 15 7/8 in. (60.3 x 40.3 cm.)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    Gaetano Gandolfi’s distinctive style was informed by his early artistic training in Bologna and Venice; the resulting technique incorporates the rigor of Bolognese academic instruction with the lively color and fluid handling that he would have encountered in the work of Tiepolo, Ricci and Pittoni. Gandolfi was also aware of developments in French Rococo painting and was acquainted with Jean-Honoré Fragonard.
     
    This copper, probably datable to the last decades of the artist’s life, is typical of Gaetano’s oeuvre and demonstrates his characteristic dynamism, theatrical format, and use of strong colors. The loose brushwork suggests that it may have been conceived as a bozzetto, but no preliminary drawing or larger finished painting of the same composition is recorded. Elements of the composition recur in other known works by Gandolfi, such as the standing angel holding the gold cup, which is repeated in the Lamentation of Christ in the church of Our Lady of Sorrows, Forlì.

    Special Notice

    On occasion, Christie's has a direct financial interest in the outcome of the sale of certain lots consigned for sale. This will usually be where it has guaranteed to the Seller that whatever the outcome of the auction, the Seller will receive a minimum sale price for the work. This is known as a minimum price guarantee. This is such a lot.


    Provenance

    with Spiller Gallery, London.
    with Jean Luc Baroni, London, from whom acquired in November 1984 by the present owner.