Helen Bradley's extended family visited Blackpool, where Helen's paternal grandfather lived, for the Easter and summer holidays each year during her childhood. The large family group comprised Mother, Father, Helen and George, her maternal Grandma, her three aunts, Mary, Frances and Charlotte, as well as their dogs, Gyp and Barney, and their cats, Martha and Nelson (who travelled in wicker baskets). Their neighbour, Miss Carter (who wore pink) and the widowed bank manager, Mr Taylor, often accompanied them. The journey depicted in the present composition must have taken place in the summer holidays as the ladies are wearing lighter dresses and Helen and George are wearing their white sailor suits.
Blackpool South station was originally named Waterloo Road when it opened in 1903, and was a busy four platform station until 1965 when the express Marton Line, which had passed through Blackpool South onto Blackpool Central, ceased running.