Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh.
PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF RAYMOND AND MIRIAM KLEIN
We are pleased to present the following works (47 and 359) from the collection of Raymond and Miriam Klein. Prominent Philadelphia-based collectors and philanthropists, the Kleins are remembered for both their indelible sense of style and for their generous support, not only in donations but also of their time, for local and international community-based causes including the Raymond and Miriam Klein Community Center in Tel Giborim, Israel, the Kimmel Center, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, the Sheba Medical Center in Israel, as well as the Raymond and Miriam Klein Jewish Community Center in Northeast Philadelphia, which they founded in 1975.
Long-time supporters and collectors of the fine and decorative arts, the Kleins built a collection with thoughtfullness and passion over thirty years ago. As with their unflagging committment to charitablecauses, the Kleins generously shared their resplendent apartment and collection as a regular venue for fundraising parties and balls throughout their lives.
Carnegie Institute, 4th Annual International, 1899, no. 186, pl. 3.
B. Fields, Jean-François Raffaëlli (1850-1924): The Naturalist Artist, PhD. diss., Columbia University, 1979, p. 329.
K. Neal, A Wise Extravagance: The Founding of the Carnegie International Exhibitions, 1895-1901, Pittsburgh, 1996, p. 103, fig. 43.
Carnegie Museum of Art, Carnegie Institute, 4th Annual International, 1899.
Phildelphia Museum of Art, on loan.