• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 5745

    The Country House Sale: Pomfret House and Tetworth Hall

    5 November 2008, London, South Kensington

  • Lot 483


    Price Realised  


    The Reef, Holy Island
    signed 'J. L Pickering.' (lower right) and with indistinct inscription '"The Reef/Holy Island J.L.Pickering/...Arnside (?) Terrace/Regent's Park/Sold' (on an old label to the reverse)
    oil on canvas
    31½ x 50½ in. (80 x 128.3 cm.)

    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Lindisfarne was the name given to the island off the North East Coast of England by its first Anglo Saxon inhabitants. After the Norman Conquest, the Monks of Durham named it The Holy Island of Lindisfarne in line with its historical association with St. Aidan who established the first monastry there in 635AD and St. Cuthbert, whose undecayed body was in the hands of the Durham Monks when they established the island's second Benedictine monastry there in the 11th century. The present picture depicts the well known landmark of Lindisfarne Castle built in 1550, atop the volcanic mound known as Beblowe Craig, with a view of Lindisfarne Priory beyond.

    Cokenach Mansion was a Queen Anne house destroyed by fire during the Second World War. It was replaced by a neo-Georgian house but a William and Mary dower house, stables and a 'rustick' cottage, dated 1804, remain.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Antique Furnishings of Cokenach Mansion, Messrs Nash Son & Rowley, Royston, Herts., 18-19 September 1947, lot 141 (as one of a pair).


    London, Institute of Painters in Oil Colours.