Inverary Castle is situated on Loch Fyne, between Glasgow and Oban. John Campbell, 2nd Duke of Argyll (1648-1743), commissioned Sir John Vanbrugh (c.1664-1726), the celebrated dramatist and the architect of Blenheim Palace and Castle Howard, to design the castle in 1720. When Vanbrugh died six years later, his plans were developed by Roger Morris (1695-1748), who oversaw the initial construction in 1746, working closely with the fashionable architect William Adam (1689-1748). On the death of both Morris and Adam in 1748, Adam's sons John and Robert oversaw the project to its completion in 1789, by this stage for John Campbell, 5th Duke of Argyll (1723-1806). The dormers and turret roofs were added to the castle in the 19th Century.