• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7632

    Old Master & British Pictures (Evening Sale)

    2 December 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 44

    Michele Marieschi (Venice 1696-1743)

    The Grand Canal, Venice, with Ca' Pesaro and Palazzo Foscarini-Giovannelli, from the Campiello of the Palazzo Gussoni

    Price Realised  

    Michele Marieschi (Venice 1696-1743)
    The Grand Canal, Venice, with Ca' Pesaro and Palazzo Foscarini-Giovannelli, from the Campiello of the Palazzo Gussoni
    oil on canvas
    22¾ x 33¾ in. (58 x 86 cm.)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    We are grateful to both Ralph Toledano and Professor Dario Succi for independently confirming the attribution on the basis of photographs. This work is an autograph version, with slight differences, of the picture in the Alte Pinakothek, Munich. The latter is paired with a view of the Piazzetta di San Basso (see R. Toledano, Michele Marieschi, Milan, 1995, p. 102, no. V.32, where he dates them to 1737-8, and notes the existence of another autograph variant of the view of the Ca'Pesaro in a private collection). The present work, which is slightly larger than the Munich picture, probably dates from a similar period, although Professor Succi prefers a slightly earlier date of 1736-7 for this group.

    Marieschi here takes a wide view of the Grand Canal looking Northwest from the small campiello to the side of the Palazzo Gussoni. Directly opposite, on the left side of the picture is the Ca'Pesaro. This baroque palace, built for the Pesaro family in the mid-17th century, was designed by one of Venice's greatest architects, Baldassare Longhena (1598-1682), although it was only completed by Gian Antonio Gaspari in 1710. Today it houses Venice's Museum of Modern Art, and on its upper floors, the Museum of Oriental Art. Further along to the left of the Ca'Pesaro is the Palazzo Foscarini Giovanelli, built in the 17th century, where Doge Marco Foscarini was born in 1695. Next to this the white marble façade of another of Venice's baroque masterpieces, the Church of San Stae, is partially visible, set back slightly from the other buildings. This was designed by Domenico Rossi and financed by the Doge Alvise II Mocenigo in 1710. Next to this is the Palazzo Priuli Bon, part of which dates back to the 14th century, and immediately next to this, with its blue and white awnings, is the Palazzo Giustinian, later Contarini, which was destroyed in a fire in the 18th century. Further along, in the distance can be seen the Ca'Tron, with its distinctive pinnacles, one of which was struck by lightning in 1739, soon after Marieschi executed this painting.

    Special Notice

    VAT rate of 5% is payable on hammer price and at 15% on the buyer's premium


    Pre-Lot Text

    THE PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE COLLECTION (LOTS 25 & 44)