One of the favourites of General Kutuzov, the sitter entered the Imperial Suite before seeing service in the Italian campaign against the French, and later in 1805 and 1812 and abroad, being awarded the Imperial Military Order of St. George (4th class) after Borodino, and other medals. He was elevated to count in 1829 and general of infantry in 1826.
For another miniature by this artist, possibly identical with Charles-François Müller (1789-1855), see G. N. Komelova/G. A. Printseva, Portrait Miniature in Russia, XVIII - early XX century, from the Collection of The Hermitage, Leningrad, 1986, p. 285, no. 56, illustrated p. 138, pl. 120.