No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.
The Earls of Guilford, and by descent to the present owner.
THE PROPERTY OF A LADY OF TITLE (LOTS 46-68)
The following group of portraits was originally at Glemham Hall, Suffolk, the house that was acquired by Dudley North in 1708-1709. Glemham, famous for its magnificent collection of furniture and pictures, was illustrated at the turn of the 20th century in English Homes by H. Avray Tipping. Glemham was sold in 1923, however, some of the contents were moved to Waldershare Park, Dover. The original house at Waldershare was built for Sir Henry Furnese, 1st Bt. (c.1658-1712), Government financier between 1705 and 1710, reputedly to designs by Inigo Jones. Edward Hasted, in his History of Kent, vol.IV, 1799, claimed Sir Henry 'rebuilt this seat after a design it is said of Inigo Jones and inclosed [sic.] a park round it which he planted in an elegant manner with avenues, according to the taste of that time'. It then passed by inheritance to Sir Henry's son, Sir Robert Furnese, 2nd Bt. (1687-1733), and in turn to his daughter, Katherine, wife of the 1st Earl of Guilford (see lot 57), and has been the home of the Norths, Earls of Guilford, ever since. Among the more illustrious members of this family, ennobled in 1554, is the 2nd Earl (1732-1793), (see lot 60), who as Lord North was Prime Minister during the American War of Independence.