• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7633

    Old Master & British Pictures (Day Sale)

    3 December 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 116

    School of Leiden, 1530

    The Return of the Pilgrim: A Scene from a Miracle of Saint James the Greater

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    School of Leiden, 1530
    The Return of the Pilgrim: A Scene from a Miracle of Saint James the Greater
    dated '1530' (upper right)
    oil on panel
    22 x 17 in. (56 x 43.3 cm.)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    This is one of a group of panels that must originally have formed parts of a polyptych depicting stories of the life and miracles of Saint James the Greater. Walter Gibson, in his 1977 monograph on Cornelis Engebrechtsz., recorded three paintings as part of the series: The Pilgrim and the Devil in the Stedelijk Museum de Lakenhal, Leiden; the present panel; and a Saint James the Greater and Christ in a landscape formerly with P. de Boer, Amsterdam, 1940, and subsequently sold, Amsterdam, 23 March 1949, lot 12, and then in the Michailoff collection, Paris. Since the publication of Gibson's thesis, another panel from the polyptych - depicting The Farewell of the Pilgrim - was sold, Galerie Koller, Zurich, 31 October 1980, lot 5056, as by Lucas Cornelisz.; more recently still, Professor Dr. Jan Piet Filedt Kok (private communication) suggested a fifth panel, Saint James resurrecting a couple, formerly in the collection at Ince Blundell Hall, Merseyside, and subsequently by descent to Col. Joseph Weld, Lulworth Castle, Dorset (exhibited, Liverpool, Walker Art Gallery, Pictures from Ince Blundell Hall, 1960, no. 48, and Manchester, City Art Gallery, Works of Art of Private Collections, 1960, pp. 7-8, no. 7); the latter picture was, however, on canvas, and although it may have been transferred from panel, has not been universally accepted as a part of the same altarpiece.

    The details of the commission of the polyptych are unknown, but the very rare subject matter of the panels does suggest a patron or destination with a more than usual knowledge of and concentration on Saint James and specifically his role as the patron of pilgrims. As such, it is very intriguing, although sadly entirely hypothetical as far as the commission is concerned, to note the existence in Leiden at the time of the St. Jacobs Gasthuis: a hospice (of which the subsequently-reconsecrated Lodewijks Kerk was the chapel) founded in the fifteenth century and run by the St. Jacobs Broederschap, consisting of people who had returned from a pilgrimage to Santiago, and of which the present St. Jacobsgasthuis Chapel was finished in 1538.

    The attribution of the group remains as yet unproven despite the evident quality of their execution. That is largely due to the lack of secure identification of the hands known to have been active in the northern Netherlands at that period, rather than to any qualitative calculation. Although Friedländer gave the Lakenthal panel to the Leiden-born Jan Wellens de Cock, the group were widely reattributed to Cornelis Engebrechtsz.'s son, Cornelis Cornesliz., called Kunst, although the present picture has also been given to the latter's brother, Pieter Cornelisz. In his 1969 thesis on Engebrechtsz. (published in 1977, op. cit.), Walter Gibson associated the group with a Lamentation in the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, and on that basis provisionally named the anonymous artist The Master of the Vienna Lamentation, suggesting that he may originally have been from Antwerp and had then moved to Leiden, where he was influenced by Engebrechtsz. He also identifed a number of other works by the same hand: a Temptation of Saint Anthony in the Musée d'Art, Geneva; a Christ taking Leave of His Mother in the Museum Boijmans-Van Beuningen, Rotterdam; a Circumcision in the Mauritshuis, The Hague; a Christ carrying the Cross in the Yale University Art Gallery; a Lot and his Daughters in the Art Institute, Detroit; and a Crucifixion triptych in the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam.

    The stylistic parallels with the work of the Leiden school securely place the panels within that sphere, and more specifically close to Engebrechtsz. (bearing in mind of course the links between the latter and de Cock), and the evident quality of the execution make that understandable. Unfortunately, however, little is known of or survives from that school, and all attributions to three of the primary artists within it, Engebrechtsz.'s sons, are wholly presumptive, as no work by any of them has to date been securely identified as such, either by signature or by identifiable commission. For some time Pieter Cornelisz.'s hand was thought to have been secured through a group of drawings of circa 1517-37 signed 'PC', many of which served as preliminary designs for window paintings (a field in which Pieter is known to have operated). That hypothesis was, however, rejected by Jeremy Bangs ('The Leiden Monogrammist PC and other Artists Enigmatic Fire-buckets', Notes in the History of Art, 1981, pp. 12-5), and although Bangs's opinion has itself been challenged (K.G. Boon, The Netherlandish and German Drawings of the XVth and XVIth Centuries of the Frits Lugt Collection, Paris, 1992, I, pp. 235-7), the study of the school of the generation of Lucas van Leyden remains extremely speculative, and the present work is therefore offered under its conservative attribution.

    The unusual subject matter illustrates an episode from a miracle of Saint James recounted in Voragine's Golden Legend amongst other sources: on his way to Santiago de Compostela a pilgrim was greeted by the devil disguised as Saint James. The latter convinced him fallaciously that he would achieve everlasting salvation by killing himself; the young man did so and thereby committed a mortal sin, facing damnation as a suicide, but was saved from that fate by the intervention of Saint James, who also restored him to life. The present scene shows, on the right, the resurrected pilgrim rejoining his companions in an inn and, on the left, him recounting the story of his experience at their dinner.

    We are grateful to Prof. Dr. Jan Piet Filedt Kok, Drs. Christiaan Vogelaar and Drs. Wouter Kloek for their help in cataloguing this lot.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Dr. Curt Benedict, Paris.
    with A. Nijstad, Lochem.
    with S. Nijstad, The Hague.
    E.R.S. Krudop, Enschede, in 1953.
    Anonymous sale; Galerie Charpentier, Paris, 15-16 December 1958, lot 53, as Pieter Cornelisz.
    Anonymous sale; Sotheby's, Monaco, 8 December 1984, lot 302, as Pieter Cornelisz Kunst, where acquired by the present owner.


    Pre-Lot Text

    PROPERTY OF A EUROPEAN COLLECTOR


    Literature

    W.S. Gibson, The paintings of Cornelis Engebrechtsz, New York, 1977, pp. 187-8 and 262-3, no. 78, fig. 68, as The Master of the Vienna Lamentation.
    Stedelijk Museum de Lakenhal. Catalogus van de schilderijen en tekeningen, Leiden, 1983, p. 97, under no. 788, as Cornelis Cornelisz.


    Exhibited

    Almelo, Het Waaggebouw, Oude Kunst in Twents Particulier bezit, 1953, no. 69, pl. XIII, as Pieter Cornelisz.