Tattooist Ted Hamilton worked the U.S. Carnival and Circus circuits in the 1920's and 30's, working from a small portable tent hung with the framed tattoo designs marketing his wares. His wife Pearl nicknamed 'The Tattooed Doll' was renowned for her heavily tattooed body including a massive peacock on her back. Ted is believed to have set up in Normandy soon after the D Day landings, catering for the American combat troops. These designs were purchased in Le Havre circa 1993 and purchased by the present vendor shortly afterwards. In 2000 they were exhibited at the Victoria and Albert Museum at the request of Alan Borg, the then director.