• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7714

    Old Master & British Pictures

    24 April 2009, London, King Street

  • Lot 38

    Vincenzo Damini (Venice late-17th Century-c. 1749 L'Aquila)

    The Ascension: a modello for the apse and cupola of St. Peter-at-Arches, Lincoln

    Price Realised  

    Estimate

    Vincenzo Damini (Venice late-17th Century-c. 1749 L'Aquila)
    The Ascension: a modello for the apse and cupola of St. Peter-at-Arches, Lincoln
    oil on canvas
    31 5/8 x 34 1/8 in. (80.4 x 86.7 cm.)


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Contact the department

    Vincenzo Damini was a pupil of Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini, who he accompanied to England in circa 1720. Whilst in England he was chiefly engaged in portrait painting, but was commissioned to paint frescoes in St. Peter-at-Arches, Lincoln (now destroyed), and the series in the north transept of Lincoln Cathedral, which date from the late 1720s and remain in situ.
    After a long period of decline, the city of Lincoln began to commission a number of churches in the 1720s, one of which was St. Peters-at-Arches, built in 1724 beside the Guildhall as the civic church. Damini's modello for the apse and cupola of St. Peter-at-Arches, Lincoln, presented here, was commissioned by the City of Lincoln in 1727-8 as part of an overall decorative scheme. Croft-Murray aptly described this modello as 'a lively performance, with distinct touches of Pellegrini about it' (op. cit.). It was preserved in the church until the building's demolition in the 1930s. The painting was then transferred by the Bishop, together with other fittings from the building, to the newly built parish church of St. Giles.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Part of a decorative scheme commissioned by the City of Lincoln for the Church of St. Peter-at-Arches, 1727/8.
    Moved to the Church of St. Giles, Lincoln, 1936, following the demolition of St. Peter-at-Arches.
    On loan to Lincoln Cathedral Library.


    Pre-Lot Text

    The Property of St. Giles Parish Church, Lincoln


    Literature

    G. Vertue, 'Notebooks of George Vertue', Walpole Society, 1929-52, III, p. 108.
    E. Croft-Murray, Decorative Painting in England 1537-1837, London, 1962, I, pp. 197-8, p. 93, illustrated.


    Exhibited

    London, Royal Academy, Italian Art and Britain, 1960, no. 192, p. 80.