• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7595

    20th Century British Art

    6 June 2008, London, King Street

  • Lot 31

    Walter Richard Sickert, A.R.A. (1860-1942)

    Pulteney Bridge, Bath

    Price Realised  


    Walter Richard Sickert, A.R.A. (1860-1942)
    Pulteney Bridge, Bath
    signed, inscribed and dated 'Sickert. Bath. 1918' (lower left)
    oil on canvas
    10 x 11¾ in. (25.4 x 30 cm.)

    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Wendy Baron comments, 'Sickert possibly visited Bath in 1916. He returned for much longer visits in 1917 and 1918 when he rented a house to live in with his wife, at The Lodge, Entry Hill (on the far side of the River Avon), as well as several studios. Pulteney Bridge, designed to span the Avon, was opened in 1771. Sickert returned to this subject again and again, relishing its mixture of sky, water, vegetation and buildings. In each version he varied the points of cutting the scene'.
    The largest and most fully realised version of this subject, (28 x 45 in.) painted circa 1917-18, also known as Pulteney Bridge, Bath (Baron 492) is in the collection of Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Paul Mellon Collection. (See W. Baron, 2006, loc. cit.).

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Sir Michael Sadler.
    Sir Austin Harris.
    Sotheby's, London, 21 October 1959, lot 62.
    Mrs Beatrice Moresby.
    Anonymous sale; Bonhams, London, 12 March 1987, lot 246.


    W. Baron, Sickert, 1973, p. 372, no. 371.5.
    W. Baron, Sickert Paintings and Drawings, New Haven and London, 2006, p. 451, no. 492.5, illustrated.


    London, Agnew's, Sickert Centenary Exhibition, March - April 1960, no. 94.
    London, Fine Art Society, Sickert, May - June 1973, no. 80: this exhibition travelled to Edinburgh, Fine Art Society, June 1973.