A fortress was founded on the Rocher de Monaco by the Genoese in 1191. By the end of the 13th Century it was the stronghold of the Grimaldi family, who from the 17th Century have ruled the Rocher and surrounding mainland as sovereign princes. Over the centuries the fortress has been added to and improved and the Rocher now comprises one of the four quartiers of Monaco, Monaco-Ville, and incorporates the seat and official residence of the Princes of Monaco, the Grimaldi Palace.
Linton travelled widely throughout Europe, sketching landscapes and sights from Greece to Germany. In 1843-4 he spent nearly a year exploring the landscape between Nice and Spezzia, and it is probable that our painting dates from this trip.