• Christies auction house James Christie logo

    Sale 7461

    Russian Works of Art Including The Rothschild Fabergé Egg

    28 November 2007, London, King Street

  • Lot 21

    A five-leaved photograph frame in leather case

    19TH CENTURY

    Price Realised  

    A five-leaved photograph frame in leather case
    19th century
    The rectangular folding frames of purple velvet, containing four glass photographs of Aleksander II and a fifth of the Tsar, Princess Catherine Dolgorukova and two of their children, Prince George Yourievskii and Princess Olga Yourievskaia , in a leather case, the cover with the Imperial double-headed eagle, apparently unmarked
    the frame 9¾ in. (24.7 cm.) high


    Contact Client Service
    • info@christies.com

    • New York +1 212 636 2000

    • London +44 (0)20 7839 9060

    • Hong Kong +852 2760 1766

    • Shanghai +86 21 6355 1766

    Princess Catherine Dolgorukova (1847-1922) was the daughter of Prince Michael Dolgorukov and long term mistress of Tsar Aleksander II (1818-1881) whom he married morganatically in 1880 and Catherine was then created Princess Yurievskaia. They had four children: Prince George Yurievskii (1872-1913), Princess Olga Yurievskaia (1874-1925), Prince Boris Yurievskii (February-April 1876) and Princess Catherine Yurievskaia (1878-1959), two of whom are portrayed in this frame.
    As explained in the foreward of the 1931 Drouot catalogue, the collection was put together by a collector who from 1905 patiently acquired personal objects belonging to Aleksander II which were either given to his morganatic wife as per his will (later sold after her death in 1922) or acquired from his close friend such as general Rileev or Count Adlerberg.

    Special Notice

    No VAT will be charged on the hammer price, but VAT at 15% will be added to the buyer's premium which is invoiced on a VAT inclusive basis.


    Provenance

    Tsar Alexander II.
    Princess Yourievsky.
    Hotel Drouot, Paris, Souvenirs, Objets d'Art, Bijoux du Tsar Alexandre II, 6 June 1931, lot 154.